Duncan not reaching temp.

Brad71

Hi everyone, I'm scratching my head on this one. I have a couple of old Duncan Kilns that I still use occasionally , but recently my DA1029N model stopped reaching temp. I checked and replaced 2 of the elements in the middle on the bottom set. Everything ohmed correctly. I done a heat up test and noticed the middle section and the 2 I replaced on the bottom are not glowing after 15 minutes of testing. Is this normal or do I need to do my checking on the relays or anytging else ? I've tried to attach a photo but it's telling the file is to big.

Edited by Brad71
Still trying to add photo

First, elements wear together so replacing just a couple is interesting but maybe not the norm. Anyway, let’s assume all the resistances are truly good. I believe this kiln has the  interval timer and repeat cycle timer and a low manual and auto position. Have you tried operation in manual mode? (Rocker centered, not left and not right, just centered)

If yes, can you determine if the interval and repeat cycle timers are functioning.

post a picture of the equipment tag and what cone are you routinely  firing to?

picture size - (one way) you should be able to email the picture to yourself and most email programs will ask if you want to resize.

Thanks. I ment to say the reason for replacing the 2 elements were due to being broke, crystals to close, lol. I will check the switch when I get home but believe it's in the Auto position. How would I go about checking the functionality on it ? I will email the photo and try to upload them both. Thanks again.

Looking at your diagram, the bottom elements are series parallel so for the two center to be out and the outside to be working one or more are broken or they are not connected as in the diagram. The center section is series wired but constantly powered so my guess is one or more of those elements is broken. So I would check ALL for continuity, individual if possible if you are not comfortable with the mix of series and parallel wiring.

The auto switch and timing relays at this point are secondary, I think you will  locate the bad elements /  connections.

IMG_3921.jpeg

Edited by Bill Kielb

Ok , I found a broke spot in the bottom set, so that's a fix, but the middle section all ohm good individually.  My switch was on automatic, switched it to manual. I'm going to replace the broke element and test again, thanks.

Nice! It’s hard to tell from your picture, but the middle set  of elements should be powered all the time the sitter is on. They appear off to me in the picture.  so if they don’t glow at some point then somewhere there is an open circuit and it’s unlikely related to the timers / auto manual switch.

Edited by Bill Kielb

There is a couple of relays, one appears to be linked to the switch. I wonder if they come on later in the firing, could be weak, I only turned the kiln on and ran for 15 minutes or so. Also the switch was in automatic and not manual.

Edited by Brad71

Again, if the middle elements do not glow, they are hooked DIRECTLY to the sitter. No relays, no interval timer, no nuthin. If they do not glow, there is a break in the wire, connection or since they are series wired, one or more of those four elements. They connect straight to power from the sitter and run continuous from start to finish. If they don’t glow, as in the picture, they need to be investigated. Since the top ring and bottom ring do glow - for now - it appears the relays and timers must be working.

Edited by Bill Kielb

You should measure approx.  25.2 ohms at the terminal block that feeds the four series wired center elements per the wiring diagram. If they measure appropriately then trace the wiring back checking connections to be sure they are powered.

Please don’t forget to disconnect all power before checking things.

Ok, checked all the middle elements again individually, they ohmed at 5.65 with the setting i was on, if my memory is correct. So I traced the feed lines, guess what, found it, lol. A feed line had come unconnected from where it gets power. Got everything reconnected and fired it back up. The middle section did not glow up fast but did ignite a paper test strip and my thermal gun read 295° after 5 minutes of run time, so I believe Im good to go. Thanks for all the help and info.