Suggestions?

I know many of you use pug mills, and I recently bought one for myself to assist relieve the pain on my wrists and forearms caused by wedging clay. I'm already reaping the benefits of chucking my hand-built trash and slop into it right away, rather than worrying about big heaps of clay that need to be retrieved. Now I'm trying to find out how to form a 4-5 pound or larger pug mill log into the wheel throwing mound. If at all possible, I don't want to wedge it. I'm attempting to round the bottom and coning down from the top, but there appears to be an easier approach. Suggestions?

When working with pugged clay, I used to wedge before hand. . . way I was taught. However, with deairing pugmills much of that is not needed. I think that wedging on the wheel with the coning up and down would help, and to start I would use a slap method with one hand or the other putting the pug down perpendicular to the wheel head, with the rounded sides to slap into a cone shape. Hope that makes sense. . . .then do your coning up and down a few times.

best,

Pres

It does depend on whether it’s a deairing pug mill or not. If it is, then you shouldn’t have to wedge it if the clay is properly mixed. If it’s a pugger-mixer that shouldn’t be a problem, but if only a pug mill you might have to run it through a couple times.

Now, if it’s not a deairing machine, then you might consider stack and slam wire wedging. Attaching a wire to my work table was such a good move, saves a lot of effort.

https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/daily/article/Stack-and-Slam-Wire-Wedging-An-Efficient-and-Easy-on-the-Wrists-Way-to-Wedge-Pottery-Clay

I have a de-airing pug mill, and like Pres, I recommend putting the clay in the wheel 'perpendicular' to the direction it comes out of the mill.  For large pieces, I slam (for lack of a better description , kind of gently, though!) the ends on the wedging table until they get fat, and then slap or slam them into shape.  I've done 8 lbs or more that way.  My wrists can't take wedging either, so I've never gotten any good at it.