Old time colorants

I was poking through the studio glaze material supply room looking for some nickel oxide and i stumbled upon a bin of Antimony oxide atop a bin of "tin vanadium"; all of this infront of the Molybendum and Iron Chromate

I am not gonna use the Iron Chromate, no need.

What is Tin Vanadium? all i can tell from googling is that it is purified using zinc for some fancy reason and then it is almost pure, with just a little zinc left over; but would it be pentoxide or something else? Is it soluble in water like iron chromate?

The antimony i know is terribly toxic, as well as the iron chromate, as well as the vanadium to a lesser extent but does anybody know about Molybendum? Or why i cant find any ceramic supplier that carries it? Even the one i found that has erbium, vanadium, antimony and neodynium doesnt have it.

Cheers!

-Burt

Per Fraser and Fraser (The Potters Dictionary of Materials and Techniques) --

Mollybendum oxide is a refractory oxide used in preparing yellow stains. It acts as a stabilizer in glazes. Poisonous.

Antimony – used to modify lead oxide to make yellow. Poisonous. Does not dissolve. Used mostly at low fire – volatizes at stoneware temperatures.

Found nothing in Fraser regarding Tin Vanadium – Fraser did say that tin and vanadium are used to make yellow color in stains or glazes.

Archived