Advice on an old Kiln

McKenna

Hi there! This is my first post here, so please let me know if I put it up in the wrong spot or if this kind of thing has already been asked elsewhere. 

I am currently getting a little beginner garage studio set up and I am off to look at a used kiln tomorrow that I am hoping to get some advice on. Its a 20yr old ConeArt MX2827D (hooked up to a Bartlett controller). From what I can tell from the pictures it doesn't looked to be in terrible condition- still need to check out the bottom, but so far the only needed repairs that I know of are new elements (still working, but he said they're on the verge of needing replaced and he wouldn't suggest anything above cone6 currently) and a good amount of the very top brick where the lid rests is broken off. 

Normally I feel like I would pass on this for my first kiln since its a little big and needs some repair, but they are only asking $850 for it... Ordering a new kiln will require either a trip to the lower 48 to get one (I live in Alaska) or paying crazy shipping costs, which is fine- it is what it is, just more $$$. I am 100% new to all this, so I am just hoping for some advice for if this is a decent kiln worth the repairs or if I should keep looking! 

Thanks in advance you guys 

Hi @McKenna, welcome to the forum! Coneart kilns are well built and work great. If you're willing to do the brick replacement then go for it if the rest of the bricks are in good condition. Since you'll already have the lid off and the elements out it's the perfect time to do the bricks. ConeArt kilns are a little bit trickier when it comes to brick replacement since they have a layer of backup insulation between the bricks and the metal jacket. If it's an older kiln you may find that the backup insulation is very crumbly and needs to be replaced too, so I wouldn't order any parts until you get the bricks out and can assess the condition of the backup insulation and order some more if needed.

Awesome, thanks guys! That makes me feel a little better about this kiln and knowing what to look at. I'll definitely check the electrical system, but I'm already anticipating needing some electrical work to run it. The seller says it only needs a 60amp but all the specs online recommend 80-90amps

Looking at the specs-if its a 3 phase its 50 amp

singel phase 80-90 amp breaker

3 phase is not in many places so check this out at your location (many homes do not have 3 phase ) and with seller to see whats the kiln really is single or 3 phase . If its on a 50 amp breaker my guess its 3 phase.

one ome important item to clear up

1 hour ago, neilestrick said:

If it's currently set up for 3 phase, talk to ConeArt and see what will be required to convert it to single phase. Often it's very minor changes. Most likely you will not have 3 phase service available at your house. 

Unless you live next to a fish processing plant or a deep freezer plant. Or a mining outfit with rock crushers or a huge boat yard. You get the drift lots of POWER needed for them.