kiln space modification

solene

Hello,

I want to reduce my kiln size by disabling the bottom coil and filling the bottom of the kiln with insulating bricks.

If I then turn on the top coil dial only, should the the new kiln space get to temperature?

I have 2 dials that each control a coil.

I wish to use 12 amp  when I fire instead of 24 amp to accommodate my household electricity needs.

I checked with the meter that it is the case:

1 coil =12 amps , 2 coils =20 amps

I also don't mind a small kiln space to fill the kiln more quickly.

Question: Am I effectively reducing the space but the kiln functions just as well?

Any advice ?

9E330960-BE7D-4BEC-81A8-7439EFEBA414.jpeg

Edited by solene

It's not that simple. It may work, but it may not. The elements are made to create enough heat to heat the chamber, as well as overcome heat loss out the lid and floor. If you take out half the elements, the remaining elements will have to deal with all the heat loss, so now the elements are underpowered for what they need to do. To what degree this is an issue will depend on the size of the kiln and how it's set up. If you have graded elements, where the very top and very bottom element run hotter than the middle elements, by creating a half size kiln it'll be out of balance and won't fire evenly. Also, by adding bricks in the bottom you may throw things out of whack even further. Yes, it'll be more insulation, but it's also more mass. Electric kilns are a bit of a balancing act, where everything is engineered to work a certain way, and when you mess with it things may not work the same.

You can always give it a try.  It may actually work. If the kiln is very powerful for its size, and the elements are set up the right way, it may be able to handle the change.

What model kiln is it?

I would say it definitely won't work with that blank section in the middle still open. You'd have to block it off all the way up so just the top two rows are open. And even then it might not fire correctly because Cress typically uses graded elements, where the top and middle elements heat differently. That said if you don't have any shelves in that area, just keep it as one open area, it might be worth a try. You'd lose the kiln sitter, though, so you'd have to use large cones on the shelf and shut it off manually. It's far from ideal. Lots of maybes. The bricks that you block it off the bottom with will need to fit tight, with no gaps.

Hi Neil,

I wondered about a thing you said.

You say typically Cress has their coils heating differently from top to bottom. Mine having a different dial for the top and the bottom coil , is that a clue that they heat in the same way and that people can manually change the way they heat?

Thanks