Texturizer Experience (Amaco)?

Ben xyz

Was surprised to see so few successful examples from Amaco on their website, using Texturizer both under and over other glazes. The couple that I did see that seemed to work were Textured Turquoise over Texturizer combo and perhaps Vert Lustre over Texturizer. Reluctant to try and use it, if even the manufacturer had such little luck. Any positive experience when layering with other commercial glazes? If so, with which ones?

Edited by Ben xyz
clarification

I think success is relative. I’m seeing a lot of good possibilities in those tests, depending on how someone might want the final piece to look. Test tiles are just neutral information. It’s not really useful to see them in terms of right and wrong for all people in circumstances, but more in terms of right or wrong for you in  your current circumstances. And what you like or are trying to achieve is also subject to change. 

Glazing can be really frustrating, because you can’t see the immediate results like you can with paint, and because you really can’t get away from some testing, even with commercial glazes. 

So then the question is, what look are you trying to create? The two samples you mention show a lot of variegation and visual texture. Those things can be affected by different application techniques, and varying the kiln firing. If you’re not firing your own kiln, you’ll have to play around with application first. Changing the order in which the glazes are applied can make a big difference in appearance, as can the thickness of the layers. Some of those flatter samples like Arctic blue over texurizer showed a heavier application of the blue, and the texturizer was partially sponged off. There’s some evidence of variation starting, so that suggests if you want more, start by either reversing the application order, or not wiping down the texture. 

If you like that variegated look, another layering glaze you could look into is one of the ones they call flux

On 2/14/2023 at 11:12 AM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I think success is relative. I’m seeing a lot of good possibilities in those tests, depending on how someone might want the final piece to look. Test tiles are just neutral information. It’s not really useful to see them in terms of right and wrong for all people in circumstances, but more in terms of right or wrong for you in  your current circumstances. And what you like or are trying to achieve is also subject to change. 

Glazing can be really frustrating, because you can’t see the immediate results like you can with paint, and because you really can’t get away from some testing, even with commercial glazes. 

So then the question is, what look are you trying to create? The two samples you mention show a lot of variegation and visual texture. Those things can be affected by different application techniques, and varying the kiln firing. If you’re not firing your own kiln, you’ll have to play around with application first. Changing the order in which the glazes are applied can make a big difference in appearance, as can the thickness of the layers. Some of those flatter samples like Arctic blue over texurizer showed a heavier application of the blue, and the texturizer was partially sponged off. There’s some evidence of variation starting, so that suggests if you want more, start by either reversing the application order, or not wiping down the texture. 

If you like that variegated look, another layering glaze you could look into is one of the ones they call flux

Thanks Callie. Will play around with the order, under and over, as well as application technique. I think I read in another post that Min had felt it was an important material for him when glazing.

Edited by Ben xyz