Refire advice for blistered glaze

destein

Hi,

I need some advice. Here's my problem. I fired to my kiln to cone 9. The witness cone seems to concur that cone 9 was reached without over firing.

Clay Body: Loafer's Glory and Phoenix.

Commercial Glaze: Mayco Stoneware glazes for cone 5/6 -- but is also indicated that it would be okay at 9/10.

Kiln: I'm using a Skutt Kiln with an electric kiln setter. I selected the Medium firing speed, with a 2 hour preheat, and a 5 minute soak. It took 13 hours to reach temperature.

I have an envirovent too and tested it pre-fire to make sure it was working.

I had some pieces with:

* Cinnabar Stoneware Glaze - perfect results (no blistering, smooth glossy finish, etc)

* Capri Blue and Green Tea stoneware glaze - pretty good with some minor blistering.

* Smoke Stoneware glaze - blistered like crazy! And came out a deep, deep blue.

From the research I've done online, I'm pretty positive the pieces are blisters and not pinholes, since they bubble-like and many have sharp edges. This is the first time I've used the Smoke glaze and in retrospect, should have probably fired it to cone 6 at least once before trying it at cone 9. Fire and learn.

I would like to refire the pieces that blistered to smooth out the glaze. I'm wondering if I should

* refire to cone 6 or to cone 9?

* adjust the speed?

* adjust the cool down?

* adjust the soak time?

I've found different advice online. Some articles suggested refiring for blistering was probably futile. Just wondering what you folks think.

Thanks a bunch for any advice and wisdom you care to share!

Kind regards,

DeAnna

Hmm...I asked because I have had the same problem with Desert Buff, but I had bisqued to 08. I am currently making lots of cups in several glazes to bisque to 04 and then do glaze tests.

I assume you are doing a slow bisque. If not, I would recommend doing so.

Hopefully someone on this forum will be able to give you more help than I. Jennifer at Highwater is very helpful.

My experience is that beating my head on a brick wall is more helpful than refiring pots with blisters and/or pinholes. I just use those pieces for yard art and spend my time creating new work.

Archived