Molybdenum and tungsten glazes

Hello network,

ive recently come across some incredible glaze work and the creator is very secrety so I’m turning to you brilliant folks to try and dig up some leads/recipes. As far as I’ve gleaned these effects are achieved with molybdenum/ powellite and tungsten. Does this ring any bells? Thanks.

FE736F36-9B86-4ABD-B09D-2B0C94084471.jpeg

Hi Terra:

Moly crystals as they are more commonly known as fall under the Crystalline Glaze category. Molys are complicated, and there is a step learning curve in learning how to develop the glaze, and firing them. Like crystalline; the glaze is bought up to a peak temperature: then lowered to a specific temp and held for several hours. (Called a ramp hold). I have been firing crystalline for awhile now; and still pull my hair out when firing molys. So be forewarned: you are about to dive down a very deep rabbit hole.

If your kiln does not have a programmable controller, and if your kiln does not hit cone 10: no point in trying. You will spend several months educating yourself, and a few more months of trial and error before you get these dialed in. You will not find information on this site, and as you have already found out- or find information anywhere. Crystalliziers as they refer to themselves, closely guard their favorite recipes and firing schedules. I do know where we happen to hang out: Facebook- Working Crystalliers.

Tom.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2022 at 1:23 AM, glazenerd said:

Hi Terra:

Moly crystals as they are more commonly known as fall under the Crystalline Glaze category. Molys are complicated, and there is a step learning curve in learning how to develop the glaze, and firing them. Like crystalline; the glaze is bought up to a peak temperature: then lowered to a specific temp and held for several hours. (Called a ramp hold). I have been firing crystalline for awhile now; and still pull my hair out when firing molys. So be forewarned: you are about to dive down a very deep rabbit hole.

If your kiln does not have a programmable controller, and if your kiln does not hit cone 10: no point in trying. You will spend several months educating yourself, and a few more months of trial and error before you get these dialed in. You will not find information on this site, and as you have already found out- or find information anywhere. Crystalliziers as they refer to themselves, closely guard their favorite recipes and firing schedules. I do know where we happen to hang out: Facebook- Working Crystalliers.

Tom.

Thank you both Tom and Min for the rabbit holes indeed. Ive managed to find materials and recipes for cone 6 that have produced some positive results.  I need to dial in holding temp and time to get more rainbows and crystals and start developing my own base to work with.  There is quite a lot of convoluted info out there actually so i think this problem is about refining the various technical threads into a smaller number of variables to pin down. One things for certain about this rabbit hole, I’m definitely in it.

side note for those who might be following:

an older book by one Sanders called “glazes for special effects” has some info including recipes with Lead and some homemade frits. Ebh pottery on instagram sells tungsten and bismuth (sisters to moly) on etsy. Theres also a wild and confusing page on the matter on puttgarden, as well as various academic papers to sift through. Again I think the problem is making sense of these various sources and refining the avenues worth testing.