Envirovent Motor hot to touch—is it ok to run?

Windsong

If the envirovent 2 motor feels quite hot to the touch—almost too hot to keep your hand on during operation, is that either a fire hazard, or a sign it is about to fail?  

(I am new to this forum…previously added this question to a different thread, but thought perhaps it is best to start a new thread.  Thank you for your thoughts and consideration!)

3 hours ago, Windsong said:

If the envirovent 2 motor feels quite hot to the touch—almost too hot to keep your hand on during operation, is that either a fire hazard, or a sign it is about to fail?  

(I am new to this forum…previously added this question to a different thread, but thought perhaps it is best to start a new thread.  Thank you for your thoughts and consideration!)

The air going through the vent shouldn't be more than 140F degrees, but that's pretty hot to the touch. Make sure the cup that attaches to the kiln isn't clogged in any way so that it's not pulling in room air. The vent pulls a little bit of air from the kiln through the holes in the kiln floor, and and mixes it with a lot of air from the room through the holes in the side of the cup. As long as that's all good you're probably fine. Those motors typically fail due to everything corroding or the bearings wearing to the point that the motor can no longer make it turn. I've never seen one overheat to the point that it melts down or anything like that. They usually run very loud before failure.

Thank you very much for your thoughts on that! The motor was still running this morning after the kiln had completely cool down, so I don’t think the heat has anything to do in this case with the heat coming from the kiln.  (Even when the kiln was running close to 2000°, I could still put my hand on the metal vent pipe leading from the kiln to the envirovent motor on the wall.

However, the metal of the motor casing was still too hot to touch for very long at all, even this morning while the kiln was at room temperature and had been most of the night. But it is still moving air at least, and not noisy.  It is mounted on a wall that has double drywall And a concrete floor and nothing combustible around it except for the killing about 18 inches away, so I think/Hope if the motor had an arc or got so hot it melted down I don’t believe it would start a fire.  

We have a big pottery show scheduled for the first weekend in November, and so during this two weeks I have almost constant glaze firing‘s lined up for that kiln. I will keep an eye on the motor and I’m thinking of trying to get another one as a back up as soon as possible, As it would be costly to be shut down for a long time waiting for a new motor to come.

12 minutes ago, Windsong said:

Thank you very much for your thoughts on that! The motor was still running this morning after the kiln had completely cool down, so I don’t think the heat has anything to do in this case with the heat coming from the kiln.  (Even when the kiln was running close to 2000°, I could still put my hand on the metal vent pipe leading from the kiln to the envirovent motor on the wall.

However, the metal of the motor casing was still too hot to touch for very long at all, even this morning while the kiln was at room temperature and had been most of the night. But it is still moving air at least, and not noisy.  It is mounted on a wall that has double drywall And a concrete floor and nothing combustible around it except for the killing about 18 inches away, so I think/Hope if the motor had an arc or got so hot it melted down I don’t believe it would start a fire.  

We have a big pottery show scheduled for the first weekend in November, and so during this two weeks I have almost constant glaze firing‘s lined up for that kiln. I will keep an eye on the motor and I’m thinking of trying to get another one as a back up as soon as possible, As it would be costly to be shut down for a long time waiting for a new motor to come.

Don't buy one from Skutt, they charge a fortune for them. Search online for a Dayton 1TDP7 or Fasco A166.