kiln help - Duncan EA-820

jjj

Hi, I'm purchasing this kiln for my wife. It hasn't been used for years and can't currently be tested. It's a big risk and I know nothing about kilns!

I've been told that I can wire it so that it plugs into the household electricity rather than need to be hardwired to our circuitry - is this correct and has anyone else done this?

I've uploaded lots of pictures so you can tell me exactly what I've gotten myself into - have I bought a dud, what should I be looking at doing first, what's my approach?

I'm thinking this will be a 12mth project, I just hope it pays off for the missus.

Thanks for any and all replies, even the ones that tell me I've been hoodwinked into buying a lemon!

kiln 1.jpeg

kiln 3.jpg

kiln 4.jpg

kiln 5.jpg

kiln 2.jpg

2 hours ago, jjj said:

I've been told that I can wire it so that it plugs into the household electricity rather than need to be hardwired to our circuitry - is this correct and has anyone else done this?

But probably only if you have high-current sockets installed.

First can you confirm what your actual supply voltage is. I suspect that you are like the UK in having a notional 230V supply but actually receive 240V. [Most of Europe has the same notional 230V supply, but actually receives 220V. This gives inter-operability for most electrical appliances, but doesn't work too well for heating devices & light bulbs. The full story is in  https://www.se.com/uk/en/faqs/FA144717/#:~:text=The UK used 240VAC 50Hz,including UK and Irish Republic.]

Assuming your supply is -- and will continue to be -- 240V the socket will need to safely supply the current drawn by the kiln. Obviously this is at least the 20A on the kiln's plate. In the USA it would legally need to be at least 25A (see PS), other locations may differ. [If the actual supply isn't 240V you may need to worry about element resistances.]

So which of these socket types do you already have installed?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS/NZS_3112

image.png.7eb97c25ba422fdf20e6bc3f33dd3ef0.png

PS

PSS
I cannot read all the details on the kiln plate, could you post a larger image?

Does the kiln have a plug? If so which socket type does it fit? Again a photo might help.

The picture of the electrical rating plate is a bit fuzzy, but looks to me like 24 amps. Thus, in the US national electric code, that would require a dedicated heavy duty 30 amp circuit, not an ordinary household plug. I don't know about the Aussie electric code, but it is probably similar. The circuit requirement includes not just the plug and receptacle, but the wiring back to the mains and the breaker. Since you will probably need an electrician to install the special circuit, you have a choice to hardwire it or have the electrician install an appropriate plug on the power cord.