Loading a two section kiln

I have a very beginner-question that I can’t seem to find the answer to. I recently purchased an L&L easy-fire e18s which is a two section kiln (two thermocouples). It came with 3 sets of shelves but I’m confused — can I set them all up and fire in 3 sections (with work in the bottom, middle, and top section)? Something I read gave me the impression that a thermocouple needs to be present in each “section.” Am I just confused? Any advice would be appreciated!

Yes, that is what I am saying. Use as many shelves as you need to hold your work. The number of thermocouples has nothing to do with how many shelves. Single zone kilns have one thermocouple but often take many shelves to hold the work and fill the kiln top to bottom.

Edited by Bill Kielb

Thank you so much!

34 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

Yes, that is what I am saying. Use as many shelves as you need to hold your work. The number of thermocouples has nothing to do with how many shelves. Single zone kilns have one thermocouple but often take many shelves to hold the work and fill the kiln top to bottom.

If your L&L has the regular elements, not the Quad elements, don't worry too much about the spacing in regards to where the shelves line up with the elements. It's good practice to not line up a shelf directly with an element, but it's not going to be a problem to have a short shelf between elements. I do it all the time in my e18T-3 and I've never had a problem. As long as you're not firing super fast at the end of the firing, things will even out.