Sherry Chan

I'm trying to learn about how to vent kilns.  And, how to maintain the vents to ensure that they are working properly.  The Bailey gas kilns have a passive exhaust stacks on each kiln.    How do I know that they are venting the kilns properly.     What type of maintenance is needed to ensure that it is venting properly?  How do I do the maintenance?      Please advise.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, Sherry Chan said:

I'm trying to learn about how to vent kilns.  And, how to maintain the vents to ensure that they are working properly.  The Bailey gas kilns have a passive exhaust stacks on each kiln.    How do I know that they are venting the kilns properly.     What type of maintenance is needed to ensure that it is venting properly?  How do I do the maintenance?      Please advise.  Thank you.

So you have a Bailey gas kiln, or are planning to get one? Or are you doing research for venting a different kiln?

12 hours ago, Sherry Chan said:

How do I know that they are venting the kilns properly.     What type of maintenance is needed to ensure that it is venting properly?  How do I do the maintenance?      Please advise.  Thank you.

Venting a gas kiln is a necessity because of the combustion products produced by burning fossil fuels. There is a science to designing the flue / hood (s) that collect the burned gases based on the amount of heat and buoyancy of heated air. Operating takes practice and kiln firing experience to retain as much heat in the kiln as practical while maintaining the desired efficiency of the flame. Usually oxidation or reduction. Maintenance of all that is usually a mechanical thing as in tight leak free joints, no obstructions, birds nest etc…

So I am not sure what you are asking but if purchasing a gas kiln from Bailey, their website says, call them they will help you through the requirements of what is needed. https://www.baileypottery.com/venting-a-bailey-gas-kiln If it’s a question of operation then firing gas kilns in general with someone who is experienced with that kiln will provide insight into the process of increasing gas pressure and adjusting optimal damper position throughout the firing.