Direct wiring- pros and cons

MFP

Hi Neil,

I have an older 286 Seattle Pottery kiln that just did a fantastic job of melting the plug and receptacle. Seattle Pottery suggested direct wiring to the panel because of the size of the kiln. My concern is having to disconnect it to replace the elements probably this summer. It draws 48 amps. Is direct wiring safer for a kiln this size? My kilns have their own panel right next to them. 

Thanks!

Marie

Direct wiring is one less place for the system to break down, although with regular inspection a plug and outlet can be perfectly safe. From a maintenance standpoint the plug it nice because it makes it easier to work in the control box on some brands. On some brands it's not an issue at all- it all depends on how it's built. Hard wiring would certainly be less stressful since you've already experienced a melted plug. For changing the elements, you'll have to unhook the elements from the control box, at which point you can remove the box and lay it on the floor with the power line still connected to it. It's not a big deal at all, just turn off the power first. Just make sure the power connection is long enough to allow for opening and removing the box.

Thank you Neil for your response. I am concerned about it possibly leading to a fire in the wall that the panel is mounted on. At least with a plug I can see if there's a problem. How likely is that to happen?

21 hours ago, MFP said:

Thank you Neil for your response. I am concerned about it possibly leading to a fire in the wall that the panel is mounted on. At least with a plug I can see if there's a problem. How likely is that to happen?

In general, fires from kiln wiring are not likely. The connection in the disconnect box is less likely to be an issue than the plug/outlet connection because it's a tight connection with bolts, not just two metal parts wedged together. It's also something you can easily check for corrosion, and you could have inspected by an electrician every couple of years.

Archived