Slips are always dull after glazing

Crowknows

Hi. I use shop bought slips then transparent glaze but they never come out as bright or full as the images on the sellers website. The reds are always pinky and black is grey. I've tried several different shop bought glazes and slips at earthenware and stoneware temps in my electric kiln, usually on terracotta earthstone clay. Is it just shop bought slips and glazes that are inferior? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

I've had similar experience.  I've tried all the clays. (Slip cast anyway.) I find cone 6 porcelain to be the best foundations for color. 

It also depends upon thickness. To get a good strong opaque color you need to apply three coats of color.

Almost the opposite with the glaze. As thin as you can is best.  Clear/transparent glazes never seem to be crystal clear. (In my experience anyway.) I found dipping to be the best for clarity. Rubbing out any drips is also necessary.

As far as the colors themselves, I stayed with Amaco Velvet Underglazes, but even then I found that I had to do lots of testing.

Archived