Glazing earthenware with unmined ingredients

Alyosha

Hello, 

I am venturing in glazing stoneware with rocks, clays and ashes. However I mainly throw a local marl hectorite earthenware clay that I have fired up to 1150⁰C probably close to it's melting limit, with results at 1020⁰C of the green clay becoming orange red.

Is there any approach to using natural- un industrial mined ingredients in this range ?

2 hours ago, Alyosha said:

Like other ceramic books that seem very interesting, the book is out of print and therefore prohibitively expensive. I guess I'll do tests from scratch

I saw this book today on Amazon.

Library may have it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 9:32 AM, Alyosha said:

Like other ceramic books that seem very interesting, the book is out of print and therefore prohibitively expensive. I guess I'll do tests from scratch

Hi Alyosha,

The book is indeed out of print (both the first and second edition) and it really is a bummer. That's why I did a PDF copy (of the first edition) in a library in Canada. I am always willing to retribute authors for their work but when it's not available, well it's not available... and those kind of very specific topics are not likely to be reprinted soon, sadly.
I sent you a private message (also with questions about a pyrometer that you created a topic about). Feel free to answer me. 

Archived