What glaze product to use?

I’ve been potting for years but mostly in classrooms and other people’s studios. Now that I’m in my own studio and having to purchase my own glazes, I’m having to figure a lot out on my own! 

I love bright colors and whimsical designs. I have many sketches and ideas but I’m not sure the best product to get the desired finish… I need some advice! Any thoughts on what could get me bright, clean colors? Photos attached are some sketches and a wardrobe I painted. I want these designs on a mug. 

Mayco Stroke and Coat or would those need too many coats? Velvet underglaze? I’d love to get a set of underglazes in 20 colors but they’re so expensive for a single pint of one color!

Sketches aren’t great but just trying to pass along the general idea. Also I’m working on turning this wardrobe I painted into a mug so another example! BB777158-DBBB-4F8D-8F53-304622E2F82E.jpeg.3fb23a61caf2a516427bf0dc9b5e7700.jpeg

8E776758-07F1-4456-A526-15F8A6E7CC25.jpeg

D66E343E-BAEB-415F-93E8-7A1EC302223B.jpeg

666E3910-2D8A-4137-94D2-3882462EC59D.jpeg

762802F3-4879-455C-AA1F-A5C42BCE9D1B.jpeg

Hi Nat!

You might try underglazes, perhaps over smooth burnished clay, so you might get the detail in there.
Afore investing in a set of color, maybe try one or two of a particular product, to see how they work for you. I use Speedball, but not in freehand detail like your designs, heh.

Several of the regular contributors here achieve nice crisp detail using underglaze...

2 hours ago, Hulk said:

Hi Nat!

You might try underglazes, perhaps over smooth burnished clay, so you might get the detail in there.
Afore investing in a set of color, maybe try one or two of a particular product, to see how they work for you. I use Speedball, but not in freehand detail like your designs, heh.

Several of the regular contributors here achieve nice crisp detail using underglaze...

Will do, thanks! :)

You definitely want underglazes. You don't have to buy pints, just get the little 2 ounce bottles. That's mostly what I use. I use mostly Amaco Velvets as well as Coyote high fire underglaze. Also, you'd want to get some slip trailing pens as well. I use those for line work. Paint on a large area with a brush, then do some outlining with the pen. 

Archived