Skutt kiln stuck on fail and temp is incorrect

Hi all! My Skutt KM818-30A hasn’t been fired in several months, but the last firings were fine. I turned it on and the display says FAIL and the temp is displaying as 465° even though it is room temp. 

The thermocouple is new and has about 5 firings on it. All wiring looks good. I have another thermocouple on the way just in case, but wanted to see if anyone has had this issue and/or knows what the problem may be. 

I’ll call Skutt tech support tomorrow, and have a call out to a  local repair tech too, but I’d love any advice in the meantime. Thanks!! 

Want to give a final update in case anyone else has this issue in the future. Disconnecting and reconnecting the thermocouple wires helped, a bit. Two firings failed at 250F, and a third at 500F.  The thermocouple was new, and only had a handful of firings on it, but I replaced it anyway and that solved the problem. I've run two successful bisque fires in the last two days. So, a new thermocouple can fail and when your Skutt displays FAIL without an error code, it's the thermocouple as Cadenrank mentions above.

It's nice to be back in business. :) 

A new thermocouple can have a bad weld, or the weld can fail prematurely. Another thing to check is the TC wires where they connect in the porcelain thermocouple block. The wire can be broken at the set screw, but it won't fall out of the hole so it's not obvious. Always fold the wire end over to double it up and it will be less likely to break at the screw.

Archived