question on control L&L Quad Pro Model eq2827-3-240.

DirtRoads

On program review on one kiln I keep seeing Cone 5 then 2162, not 2167 like the other kilns have.  I have checked TCOS and CNOS about 20X.    With the newest one   I had a 5 degree lower offset   on cnos 9005.   I've reset this to 0 like other kilns (elements have worn now).    I have TCOS on 18 on 2 of the kilns.  Had 0 on this one.    Changed it to 8 and 18.

Still seeing Cone 5  2162 on review.   But when you select Cone 5, it says 2167.

Some help please.  what am I missing?

For some fun, I've shown the number of firings on these kilns.    The 171 is the one showing 2162.     Consider I get around $1k in each load .... not a bad investment.    On my first L&L, it said elements and TC's lasted 3 years.   I had  TC go out on year 2.    They asked me to check the number of firings .. it was 320ish.    L&L said they counted on ppl getting about 100 firings a year.   BUT, they sent me a TC at no charge.  But I understood the warranty and told them they didn't  have to ... but they did.  Didn't ask again about "warranty".

LL1.jpg

ll2.jpg

ll3.jpg

All 3 kilns TCOS set to 18 for all 3  (were these set at 18 at the factory?) 

All 3 CNOS set to 0.  Neil told me how to set this a couple years ago to 9005 to cool a bit and it was perfect.

Do these settings sound right?

The newer kiln had been firing a little cooler, one color I have showed that.  I set it to the 8 and it looked better. (good enough to sell but not 100% matching sets)  Do you think the 18 is right?

I turned new kiln off/on  and now it now  shows Cone 5 at 2167.

I have some witness cones OTW.   I used the few I had and Cone   5 was barely bending.    TBH, with L&L there is no need to use witness cones on every load IMO.      This is only the 2nd problem I've had ever and had to adjust.    Every other firings have always been factory settings, with great results.   Will check with witness cone when they get here. 

Depending on your generation of the Bartlett controller used (rebranded as dynatrol) the cone table has changed a bit over the years. Offsets for thermocouples have changed slightly as well with the most notable being a covered thermocouple vs an open ended tcouple. Neil may know the offsets by memory but best to tune it to witness cones. A few degrees different display is not really as accurate with respect to heatwork as cones are. Tuning with cones is usually more accurate. IMO

Archived