Paragon TNF823 with DTC600C - ERR1

Ronan

Hi everybody!

I purchased a used Paragon Electric kiln and when first tried got error 1.

it seems the elements where wrong (did test them and had 1 broken and 2 above range) so replaced 3 out of 4.

i tried the kiln yesterday and had again the error 1.

I have 3 questions:

1- do you know how to test the relays? (i saw the paragon video but it didn’t help )

2- do you know how to test the transformator?

3- Do you know how to know the issue??

thanks a lot and have a great day,

Ronan

Also, I noted something, trying to test it:

when it starts, I hear the relay turning on, the system heating for about 3/4 seconds, and the relays turn off.

it is like this:

1- relay turns on, stays 2/4 seconds then turn off

2- nothing happens for about 10 seconds

3- relays turn on again for 3/4 seconds and turn off

this happens various times… is it a sign the relays are dead?

I think your manual is here. https://paragonweb.com/wp-content/uploads/IM-126-DTC-600C-DTC-600-Instructions-1.pdf. Error 1 is the kiln fails to heat at least 18 degrees per hour. Pressing any key displays the temperature it failed at. When a relay turns on, power will be supplied to the elements so checking for power when the relay is on is common but it is a live test so appropriate safety ought to be used. Sounds like you have a meter already.

Elements generally wear together so I would change them all. Since this is an old kiln I would likely just change the relays anyway, it  doesn’t look like it was maintained.

maybe do7bke check the wiring and connections first to be sure they are all intact and as intended.

Thanks Bill!

This is correct, this is my kiln manual and I replaced the element based on the err1, but still not working properly.

I’ll indeed replace the relays and trans. Any idea with what I can replace them? Here is a pict., I can’t find exactly the same at reasonable prices.

also, I took the voltage measurement and here is what I have (see attached pict. For element references), does anyone sees an issue?

thanks again!

Between 1 and 2 : 147V

Between 1 and 3: 147V

Between 1 and 4 : 237V

Between 1 and 5 : 237V

Between 1 and 6 : 146.7V

Between 1 and 8 : 0V

Between 2 and 4: 88.6V

Between 2 and 8: 147.9V

Between 3 and 4: 88.7V

Between 3 and 8: 147.9V

Between 4 and 5: 0V

Between 4 and 6: 89.9V

Between 4 and 8: 237V

Between 5 and 6: 89.8V

Between 5 and 7: 89.9V

Between 5 and 8: 237V

Between 6 and 8: 146.7V

Between 7 and 8: 146.7V

Relay.JPG

Transformer.JPG

Kiln.JPG

2 hours ago, Ronan said:

’ll indeed replace the relays and trans.

If the controller powers up, then the transformer is working. It just reduces the 240 volts coming in down to 24 volts for the controller. No need to replace it.

The relays cycle on and off, that's how they work. To test them you can put a meter on them while the kiln is firing, however that will be difficult/unsafe if you don't have a hinged control box, and it doesn't look like your kiln has one. So instead, put a small piece of paper on each element and start the kiln for a couple of minutes. If the paper doesn't smolder for all the elements connected to a relay, then that relay is probably dead. If there's only on element connected to a relay and that paper doesn't burn, then either the element is dead or the relay is dead. You can check the element for continuity to see if it's broken or not, though. If there is more than one element connected to a relay and one of the papers doesn't burn but the others do, then that element is dead. This is all assuming there's not a bad wiring connection causing the problem.

Those are old relays. Nowadays most kilns use THESE.

8 hours ago, Ronan said:

are the relays good for any kiln? How can I make sure they’ll work on mine?

That type of relay is used on most kilns in the US. The only exceptions are the high powered, large kilns. US kiln controllers use a 12V DC output, and this relay has a 12VDC coil. This relay is rated for 30 amps, more than enough for your kiln, which is good because you won't be stressing out the relay. This is the relay I use in my kiln repair business. I installed a dozen of them on various kilns last week.

Archived