glaze storage temps

Mudfish

Because of my current studio setup, my glazes are stored in large 32 gallon containers in a warehouse area that is not climate controlled. So when the outside temp is very hot, its even hotter in the warehouse. When its cold outside, its very cold in the glaze storage area. Storing glaze in the hot months seems to present no problems, except for a off putting smell something like a cat lady smell, but no application issues. I seem to be having problems with pinholes when I dip wares into glaze that is very cold. I have started to keep wares in a more room temp (warmer) area.  I have noticed that the room temp wares pinhole when dipped into the cold glaze. The pinholes do not fire out and I believe they are the cause of a kind of orange peal surface in the fired wares.  Should wares and glaze be the same (cold) temp, or should both wares and glaze be at a warmer temp?

I’ld try putting a couple gallons of the glaze in the warmer area where you are keeping the bisque and give it a try once it’s warmed up. If the problem is solved then perhaps an route to look at might be a livestock immersion water trough heater in each of the 32 gallon containers to  keep the glazes from having this problem.

Archived