Kind of equipment, kind of clay related: Overfiring? Too fast?

cadenrank

My plan at this moment is again to return it to running with the middle ring on the bottom. I bought some various post sizes for now to try to work around the sitter obstacle until element change comes around and I can redo the overall element balance. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Additional follow up: 
I received the extra post sizes, and I think I've figured out how to configure it to work with being out of the way of the sitter tube, while also keeping the same capacity.  Kilns all loaded up for this weeks firing, and once I get it through a cone 6 firing, I'll post an update on results.  

1 hour ago, cadenrank said:

Additional follow up: 
I received the extra post sizes, and I think I've figured out how to configure it to work with being out of the way of the sitter tube, while also keeping the same capacity.  Kilns all loaded up for this weeks firing, and once I get it through a cone 6 firing, I'll post an update on results.  

I've got a shelf with a chunk broken off of one side that I use whenever I need a shelf to line up with the thermocouple. Leaves about two inches clearance and doesn't affect the reading. If you're using cordierite shelves, you can easily cut a chunk out of a shelf to provide the necessary clearance.

Good to know. I just bought a bunch of different sizes of smaller posts so I can put what's usually on my top shelf, at the bottom shelf. Both with 6 inch posts or 7 inch posts on the bottom I was either right in line with the sitter or practically touching the bottom of the cone supports. But flipping the whole configuration upside down and using a 5 or 4 inch shelf at the bottom, then 7 inch and 7 or 6 inch at the top and middle puts the sitter back in a good spot in regards to distance from the sitter. Thermocouple is pretty good at the bottom. About an inch and a quarter or so above the very bottom shelf. 

The firing was still pretty uneven from shelf to shelf, but in the opposite direction. Bottom shelf was probably like a cone 5.8, middle shelf was a perfect cone 6, and top shelf was probably a cone 5.6 or 5.7. All of the cone 5's were pretty well bent over, just the degree of bend in the cone 6's varied from top to bottom, cone 7 without any bend.
But this is the direction I'd prefer to go vs. overfiring. Still would like evenness, but uneven with lower temps, still close to target is satisfactory. Any issues in glazes/finishes in this firing were unrelated to temperature, which is a big step from the last firings. 

Archived