Whiteware??

White ware is a broad category that tends to be a more British term. It covers any kind of clay that is white/off white/cream. It’s a colour reference only, not a specific kind of clay.

Stoneware is anything that isn’t porcelain, but isn’t red earthenware either.  It can be white or cream, but it can also be red, or speckled or dun, etc. 

Without knowing exactly which glazes you’re looking at, I’d assume whoever is making the glaze in question means that they prefer the way it looks on a white clay. Think maybe a translucent blue. But that’s not to say you couldn’t put it on a darker clay body, as long as you’re fine with the visual results.

24 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

White ware is a broad category that tends to be a more British term. It covers any kind of clay that is white/off white/cream. It’s a colour reference only, not a specific kind of clay.

Stoneware is anything that isn’t porcelain, but isn’t red earthenware either.  It can be white or cream, but it can also be red, or speckled or dun, etc. 

Without knowing exactly which glazes you’re looking at, I’d assume whoever is making the glaze in question means that they prefer the way it looks on a white clay. Think maybe a translucent blue. But that’s not to say you couldn’t put it on a darker clay body, as long as you’re fine with the visual results.

Thanks very much for your help. This is the recipe I am considering testing...

https://digitalfire.com/recipe/g2926b

@Gonepotty I am very familiar with that base! 

In my experience, it’s not a super clear glaze on it’s own, in case you’re looking for something to put over underglaze decoration. It does take most colours, opacifiers and variegators  well though. It doesn’t quite have enough calcium in it if you’re trying to use it with pink or yellow mason stains, so if you’re using those you might find you have to add a bit extra stain. It’s pretty well behaved in the bucket, although if you find it settles a bit too fast for your taste, a drop or two of saturated Epsom salt solution takes care of it nicely.

Because of the wollastonite, I recommend slaking it well before trying to sieve it. Overnight is preferable, but a couple of hours at least, unless you like pushing hard little bits through the sieve.

Definitely read all the glaze notes Tony provides there: it’s a wealth of information on getting best results.

Archived