What to do with cone 10 porcelain clay

Hi all ...

Hoping to get your advice / suggestions on what to do with some cone 10 porcelain clay that's just sitting in my studio. A friend moved to NY last year and I helped her by buying her clay so she wouldn't have to move it.

Well, part of the clay (150 pounds of it) is a wonderful (and slightly expensive) cone 10 porcelain ... Laguna WC-631. Since I work mainly with cone 5 & 6 clays, all of my glazes are for those temperatures and most likely won't fit the cone 10 body. And I really don't want to fire my kiln that high.

The clay is hard and has some mold spots, but I'm not worried about that. Clay can be softened up and the mold disappears when it's worked or fired.

So ... what the heck can I do with this clay?

Thanks for your help!

Elizabeth

You could mix some of it with water to make a nice, thick decorating slip that you won't need to fire to Cone 10. I'd coat my cheaper clay with it so I get a nice white surface to work with

Sounds good. 150 pounds of clay will make a heck of a lot of slip. :-)

so glad to read this post, i've been wanting to use my cone 10 tc porcelain on my 5/6 clay body but wasn't sure it was possible.

I should put an asterisk on all my advice postings noting that I'll try just about anything to see what happens. I have used my southern ice slip on cone 6 porcelain so I can get the pure white on objects that I do not want to high fire but want that gorgeous pure white as a canvas. I think there is an element of not caring that makes it work. B) Also it would be a bigger problem if I I were trying to fire a cone 6 porcelain to 10.

You can definately fire ^10 porcelian at ^5/6, I have fired clay up to 7 cones below it's firing range, just coat the inside if the pice with ^5/6 slip so it will be vitrified if you want it to be functional, this had worked for me in the past, although I have never tried it with porcelian. Best of luck!!

Darrel

You can definately fire ^10 porcelian at ^5/6, I have fired clay up to 7 cones below it's firing range, just coat the inside if the pice with ^5/6 slip so it will be vitrified if you want it to be functional, this had worked for me in the past, although I have never tried it with porcelian. Best of luck!!

Darrel

Great suggestion. I'll do a couple of test pieces and see what happens. Wondering if the ^5/6 slip will eliminate problems with glaze fit.

Archived