Kiln controller won't turn on display

just1victory

I have a test kiln with a Bartlett controller, I haven't used it in months. When I turned it on, I get the red light on the side but no display. Temperature in the room is about 60F. Could it be that leaving the switch in the on position for so long (months) could have caused it? It's 120v, but the reason I couldn't use it because it would make the lights flicker, not great wiring in the house. Possibly a blown fuse? Hope I haven't destroyed it.

What brand/model kiln?

Is there a fuse on the control box? There should be one. It could be that the fuse has come loose or the fuse is dead. Also possible that a connection has come loose or corroded during the down time.

Those small 120v kilns typically require a 20 amp circuit with nothing else being used on the circuit while firing. Post a pic of the kiln serial plate that has the electrical information.

Unplug the kiln and open up the control box and see if any wires have come loose or connections corroded. Also check for continuity on the wires going into and out of the fuse holder with the fuse in place, just in case there's an issue with the fuse holder. Check for continuity on both sides of the power switch. If everything else looks good but there's no power to the controller, then it could be a bad transformer or ultimately the control board itself, although it would be rare for a board to completely die with no signs of life at all. Typically they act goofy when they go bad. To check the transformer you'll have to plug the kiln in and measure the voltage on the two wires going from the transformer to the controller. Should be around 24VAC.

And yes, that kiln should be run on a 20 amp circuit, not a standard 15 amp circuit. Not sure why they put a 15 amp plug on a kiln that's supposed to run on a 20 amp circuit. Check your breaker box and see if you have any 20 amp circuits in your house. The garage may have one. 20 amp outlets have a slot that looks like a 'T'.

622745232_20ampoutletjp.jpg.161e727b2b2bb6e27aad5c600bb5ef9c.jpg

Fuse and power switch have continuity, didn't notice any loose or corroded connections to them but found that the relay wires had some sketchy connections that my SO put there when swapping relays (pic) and thermocouple, don't think that would affect the board though? I don't have any of those kind of outlets in the basement so I'll have to haul it upstairs and plug it in there to check the transformer. Thanks--

IMG_2942.JPG

Hope this doesn't post twice,hit submit and it disappeared lol. I wasn't able to get a reading in AC mode, could be because the tips on the leads are tiny and difficult to reach the ends in that tight space, or I could be using it wrong, will watch more vids to see if I can get it to work. Just to be sure, I'm supposed to take the reading while the kiln is plugged in but the power button is off?

56 minutes ago, just1victory said:

Hope this doesn't post twice,hit submit and it disappeared lol. I wasn't able to get a reading in AC mode, could be because the tips on the leads are tiny and difficult to reach the ends in that tight space, or I could be using it wrong, will watch more vids to see if I can get it to work. Just to be sure, I'm supposed to take the reading while the kiln is plugged in but the power button is off?

If the power button is what turns on the controller, then it should be on while testing. I'm assuming the wiring goes to the power button before it goes to the transformer?

Suggest: Check that glass fuse in the picture as well. Power should go to the fuse then the switch then the controller. I see wires that are soldered and the wire to the back side of the fuse holder mysteriously taped. I would double check and make sure everything is connected well.

• 2 months later...

I couldn't sign in with my old account for some reason, but wanted to follow up since you guys were so nice in responding. The controller started working again once the room temperature was at 55F, I think it may just have been cold. It could also have been the outlet was bad, I used an extension cord on the retry to a new outlet. Thanks again for your help.

Archived