Tropical kiln building holiday anyone?

RhondaT

Happy New Year Pottery Lovers...I am relatively new to self firing...I have tried and failed several times...as I have been a studio member with excellent kiln service for years...However I am planning a move to Antigua to retire and set up a small pottery studio. As there are no kilns available locally and the cost of electricity is very high, I was hoping to build a kiln fired with propane and venturi burners...I have bought several books and looked at many videos but I am still filled with trepidation...so if there is a kiln maker/master out there who would like an island tropical holiday in exchange for helping build a kiln please come on down!. I will need to order and buy everything needed in the States and then have it shipped down...I do have a small Olympus hobby kiln I can Bisque fire in but I cannot get it up to cone 5 successfully no matter what I do...so help with that would also be welcome..

Have you thought about a propane fired raku kiln? It isn't that difficult to make one of welded wire, fire blanket, some 2-2.5 inch clay buttons, heat resistant wire, some fire bricks and a gas burner. I've made two so far, and all be myself. It can even be used for bisque were if you have a pyromanometer (did I get that right?)

Archived