Kiln Stalling in a Bisque firing

JDL

So, I just purchased this Duncan Kiln...

They mentioned that one of the coils would need to be replaced. Turning it on, all coils were heating...

Though, in my first test bisque firing, very small load, it stalled around 1800 degrees...

I realized that I was actually turning the kiln down not up as I had my bearing backwards...

Now, knowing that, I have reloaded the kiln fully and fired it overnight and it has reached 1780 to 1795 and it is stalling... Not getting past this...

I started the firing just past the Over Glaze and have increased the temp over the first couple of hours. I let it fire overnight with the setting just at Ceramic temp...

That is were it stalled... This morning, I increased the temp to Hi Fire to try to push it to my 1832 to 1850 goal...

Has anyone else experienced this and what are your thoughts!

There is a whole lot of Duncan kiln discussion here. If the elements are worn by 10% or more from new, it’s time to change them. So if their resistance has Increased by that much, they are due. As far as firing, full power would be the infinite switch turned to about 1:00 o’clock position and the rocker switch on manual high to make sure the bottom elements are full on. If you search other threads, you will find lots of reading material explaining this kiln is often non intuitive to most.

Archived