Terracotta clay and glazing

Susy Fairbairn

I've found it's best to bisque fire the underglaze on first. There are gums in the underglaze that can inhibit getting a good glaze laydown. Some people do put the glaze on dry but unfired underglaze though. It's just a question of if your underglazes are okay with it. Can you run a quick test? See if the underglaze smudges or runs when glazed and if the glaze laydown is adequate. 

Welcome to the forum.

1 hour ago, Min said:

I've found it's best to bisque fire the underglaze on first. There are gums in the underglaze that can inhibit getting a good glaze laydown. Some people do put the glaze on dry but unfired underglaze though. It's just a question of if your underglazes are okay with it. Can you run a quick test? See if the underglaze smudges or runs when glazed and if the glaze laydown is adequate. 

Welcome to the forum.

I do not do a separate firing between underglaze and glaze with bisqueware.    However, I am wondering if I should rethink that with certain colors.  (Intense yellow and flame orange).  But I have been trying to apply more underglaze on greenware.  Simply to speed up the glaze process.  Food for thought, always.  Pottery always gives a person something to think about!

Roberta

Archived