Kiln Electritian in NE Ohio

littlefairyone

Hello everyone!

I’m in need of a kiln Electritian in NE ohio. We moved houses and I need someone who knows the electrical needs of a kiln to come see if things are satisfactory or more than satisfactory as well as to help me figure out why my kiln won’t hold temp/fire right.

I have been in contact with one, but he’s so slammed and poor at communication that I’m searching for another person. I have shows coming up and really need my kiln up and running.

I have googled, but all I come up with is regular electricians and the person who I’ve been trying to get out for months.

I have a Gar manual electric kiln that only has switches. I also have a second kiln that I just got and have no idea if it even works. But I don’t have the right outlet for it.

Thank you in advance. 

Assuming the electrical service for you kiln is correct, then there's only so much that can go wrong with that kiln. First check for any wiring connections that have fried. Then you'll need to make sure all the switches are working. For that you can start up the kiln and see if all the elements glow after a few minutes. If an element doesn't glow, then the problem is either the switch or the element. To test the elements, get an inexpensive digital multi-meter and check the resistance of the elements (kiln unplugged). L&L and Skutt both have videos on their web site that show how, it's basically the same on all kilns. You'll need to contact Evenheat Kilns to find out what the resistance should be. If an element measures 0, then it's got a break in it somewhere.  If the resistance is off by 10% from what it should be, then the elements are worn and should be replaced. You can also use the meter to check for continuity of both sides of a switch to see if it's working. There's a chance that the Sitter could be having a problem, but that's rare. For your other kiln, you can do all the same tests with a meter to see if it's working.

FYI, kilns must be on a circuit breaker that is rated 25% greater than the draw of the kiln, with the appropriate size wiring to go with that.

Archived