zinc and cobalt carbonate - solid gel

Julie P

Not evaporation. I took a sample and added more water but that crumbled on the test tile because there was too much water. The SG will be the same because it is just the base glaze with 1% CoCO3, so no change in the water:solids ratio. I have had a useful suggestion from someone on Glazy who seems to understand the chemistry that it might be the batch of CoCO3 so I am going to thoroughly wash a measured sample and see if that makes any difference. Will report back

On 11/20/2021 at 6:00 AM, Julie P said:

I have had a useful suggestion from someone on Glazy who seems to understand the chemistry that it might be the batch of CoCO3

You had that suggestion here also. 4th post from your first one. Hence my suggestion and request for someone else to mix up a small test batch.

edit: @Jeanetta recently had a colour issue with a glaze containing a new batch of cobalt carbonate, this thread. I wonder if there is a recent supply of cobalt carb that had incomplete processing and/or contamination. I don't know how many facilities there are that process cobalt ll acetate into cobalt carb.

I had this happen to a glaze once too. It was a kaki recipe I made up, I was very perplexed and still am, but I thought it could have been too much bone ash flocculating the glaze. Maybe that combined with some other factors, not sure, but it didn’t include zinc or cobalt. I guess I’m just wondering, is there any chance you could have used bone ash by mistake instead of whiting or dolomite?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived