Cone 6 clay body with cone 06 glaze

Sculart

Hi,

I am a new ceramics teacher at my HS and inherited a bunch of glaze 06 under glazes . I purchased ^6 clay and glazes and attempted my first ^6 firing last week as a test. The kiln took way too long to reach temperature that I had to turn it off as no one was going to be on campus. So, now I don’t feel comfortable firing ^6 bcs of safety, but I have all this excess clay. 

so my question is: what would happen if I continue to use my ^6 clay but bisque to ^04 and apply ^06 glaze then fire to ^06? I WILL NOT be using the ^6 glaze as I know I won’t be able yo get it up to proper temp. 

If I under fire the clay body but the glaze, will it be food safe? Should I just keep projects to sculptures? any other suggestions? I have about 20 bags of this clay I don’t want to go to waste.

1 hour ago, Sculart said:

The kiln took way too long to reach temperature that I had to turn it off as no one was going to be on campus. So, now I don’t feel comfortable firing ^6 bcs of safety, but I have all this excess clay. 

How long is too long? It could just be the elements are due to be replaced, have you checked the resistance of the elements, this is the first thing I would do. Is there money in the budget for a new set of elements if needed?

1 hour ago, Sculart said:

If I under fire the clay body but the glaze, will it be food safe? Should I just keep projects to sculptures? any other suggestions? 

If you fire ^6 clay to ^ 04 for the peak temperature it's going to be a fragile porous body.  Glazes will more than likely craze over time on functional pots (if not already crazed) and the pots will weep and get very hot in the microwave. Lowfire earthenware bodies mature at low temps, a ^6 body will be vastly immature at the same temp/cone. I would strongly suggest just using the ^6 clay for sculptural work if low-firing is your only option. 

Welcome to the forum.

4 hours ago, Min said:

How long is too long? It could just be the elements are due to be replaced, have you checked the resistance of the elements, this is the first thing I would do. Is there money in the budget for a new set of elements if needed?

If you fire ^6 clay to ^ 04 for the peak temperature it's going to be a fragile porous body.  Glazes will more than likely craze over time on functional pots (if not already crazed) and the pots will weep and get very hot in the microwave. Lowfire earthenware bodies mature at low temps, a ^6 body will be vastly immature at the same temp/cone. I would strongly suggest just using the ^6 clay for sculptural work if low-firing is your only option. 

Welcome to the forum.

It was firing for 17 hours when I turned it off. I just researched how to check the elements and will do that, thanks for the tip!

Archived