Slip casting beginner question

Clay owl

Hi there. I’m new to the world of slip casting.  
 Hopefully there might be someone here who can help  

im trying to make a 2 part plaster mold from an original shape. Meaning I don’t want to cast an existing bottle or mug or whatever.  I want to carve an original form out of clay and cast that in plaster.   

a one part cast would be simple but the two part thing is giving me trouble 

all of the videos I’ve seen have you embed half of the desired object to be cast in clay, then cast it in plaster.  Remove and cast the other side. 

my problem is that I want to sculpt an original form out of clay then cast that. But it will stick to the clay it’s embedded in  right? Is there some kind of spray or something that I can use to keep my clay master form from sticking to the clay it’s embedded in?  

does this make any sense? 

You can absolutely seal your master with something before building the first half of the mould. Dedicated slipcasters usually use mould soap, but if it’s something you’re trying for the first time dish liquid or Murphy’s oil soap will also work. You’ll need to apply some to the first half of the plaster as well, when you’re ready to do the second half.

you can also use oil based clay! I tend to use oil based clay to make my models and then water based clay to clay up my model. I sometimes make a silicone master mold first before i make the plaster slip cast mold. I found that Vaseline helps protect the silicone from sticking together. Maybe you can apply that to your model and then clay up. You can thin it out with mineral spirits to reduce the texture of the Vaseline from showing up in your final mold but I find that just applying it with my hands good enough. 

But like Cassie said, you can also use dish soap mixed with water to seal your model as well!

Archived