Duncan AE 820-Teacher Plus - Kiln venting

Hey everyone!

Question- 

I have an Older Duncan AE 820 Teacher plus - I have not fired it yet but everything "should" be in working order. The walls and elements look like they are in very good condition. I've got my studio wired to fire. My next step this weekend is buying some furniture, cones and a vent system....

My kiln has a finger sized hole in the center of the lid - and no holes underneath. So I am assuming it has never had a downdraft system installed. My studio is very small and has no functional window at the moment.  Should I invest in the Orton VentMaster Downdraft Kiln Venting System 110V? Do I need to plug the hole in the lid? 

The downdraft vent will help but it will not get all the fumes. Best to have a plan to vent and If you can you live with the heat or will it need to be removed.. The hole in the top can be used or plugged, the downdraft generally draws plenty of air through section and lid cracks so it’s pretty rare for folks to be drilling them in the lid these days.

So it seems you will likely need a down draft, a way to vent the heat etc…… so a little more setup thought.

A downdraft vent is ideal for venting fumes, as they also help extend element life and make glazes look better by pulling oxygen into the kiln. But if you need to vent fumes and heat, and don't have a window or other way to move heat out of the space, then I recommend getting a Vent-A-Kiln hood. They work very well. If you really want to spend a lot of money, get both!

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Gred said:

I bought a used L&L e28T. Any recommendations for venting? Do I need a blower to pull the fumes or just a tube out the window?

Thanks!

Sort of similar answer to that above. A downdraft is always good on an electric kiln for getting most of the fumes and good for oxidation firing, element life, etc…. Like above, do you need to remove all the heat? Will folks work near or in the same room as the kiln? Is this a house and the HVAC will do a nice job of distributing any fumes throughout the house if they are not exhausted? Maybe provide a little more context to figure out your needs.

Archived