Old Electric Kiln

EMC

26 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

Where the cord connects to the terminal block, the wire in the cord looks annealed from use, I would just replace this cord.

The power cord? I was thinking it looked pretty good, from what I can tell from the picture. No signs of overheating, no corrosion on the terminals.

1 minute ago, Bill Kielb said:

Looks corroded and annealed to me from heat. I would replace it.

2520FE09-CDD7-4F64-876D-349EB05E898A.jpeg

Hard to say if that's corrosion or dust in a kiln that dirty.....Of course it wouldn't hurt to replace it, but that's a $100 part so it would be good to leave it unless it's absolutely necessary.

31 minutes ago, neilestrick said:
34 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

Hard to say if that's corrosion or dust in a kiln that dirty.....Of course it wouldn't hurt to replace it, but that's a $100 part so it would be good to leave it unless it's absolutely necessary.

It’s not bright copper, it’s overheated oxidized copper to me. It’s only a flat cord, are they $100.00? Which brings up another thought, these look like #10 wires - hard to tell though. Might be a range cable though. Probably should check the cord rating which will be printed on it.

Rangę cable Under $30.00 at Home depot with ring ends on it

1 hour ago, neilestrick said:

Range cords are not usually rated 105C like kiln power cords should be. I did quote the wrong cord from Skutt, though. A 50 amp cord is $100. For this model it's $60.

I am definitely in favor of higher temp rating but I thought Skutt designed all their terminations at 75 C just  to unify things. Oh well, $60.00  better than $100.00 and probably well worth it in safety.

Archived