Kiln proximity to propane heater or garage door

Heidi KH

Hello!  First post and excited to join.  This group always pops up when I search a pottery related question.

I have a new home and am setting up shop in my garage.  The electrician can (finally) be here next week to run the line and breaker for my kiln, but I am still unsure about the best location for it.   The garage is a fairly new extension off of the original garage - it was built 3 years ago to be the previous owners workshop and is 19' x 23'.  It is really well insulated and has a propane heater on the back wall which pulls fuel from the pig that heats the house.   I am in Michigan - land of scorching hot summers and arctic-like winters.   The garage managed to stay pretty cool in August as long as I kept it closed up.  We will see how it retains heat pretty shortly here.  

So, I am trying to upload a sketch I have and we'll see how quick a learner I am.     I have located 2 spots to possibly put the kiln.  The first is in the back corner.   But the proximity to the propane heater concerns me.   Of course I will  close the valve when running the kiln, and it is has a thermostat, but still concerned about safety.    Of course that may be an unfounded concern - and that is not the location I would prefer.    I would rather put it up in location 2 near the garage door.    I can still vent out the side of the garage  and I can just open the garage door when it is too hot.   Or can I?  It is a metal door, but does have rubber wheels.    The kiln is a Skutt 1018-3, so not too tall and well insulated with the thick brick.      

I would really appreciate any insight you experienced folk have on this.    I have been one of 2 people in charge of loading and firing the kilns at my current studio for the last 6 months, so I do have some experience, I guess it is just having a kiln in my home being a new experience that has me worried.  

image.png.6cf35fad23076c372baf9cfd27ea25e8.png

Either location would work. As long as you're a couple of feet from the heater it shouldn't  be a safety issue. And yes, you can always prop the garage door to help cool the space. The only worry about location 2 is if weather can blow in on the kiln when you open the garage door, like if you're parking the car during a rain storm.

Archived