Evenheat Electric Kiln - worth the purchase?

Good afternoon! I am thinking about purchasing an Evenheat electric kiln from Fb Marketplace. The seller wrote this about it: “Model 4320 LT, 240 v, 24 amp without collar, 30 amp with collar added. Kiln sitter style, works best with small cones. Firebrick and elements are in great shape. Stilts, cones, shelves, and posts included. Fires up to cone 6, but never needed to go higher than cone 3 for my work. Works wonderfully - just moving and can’t take it to my next home.”

The seller sent me this: 

“The kiln is about a year and a half old to me, but the person I got it from told me she had it for about 10 years. She never fired higher than cone 06 and said it was used about 2-3 times per year because she made such tiny pieces. 
I planned to use for at least another 5 years… just moving now and won’t have space. I never had any problems with it firing incorrectly so there should be a lot of life left in it without repairs.” 

My question is, when is a kiln “too old” and does this sound like a decent deal? She’s selling it for $375. I have a small studio but I hope to start some one-on-one classes soon. It also fires to a cone 6 as she said, so does that mean it’s better to use it at lower cones to extend its life?

Thanks!!

3B3CD385-183E-4A84-8FDF-9992884EE6B4.jpeg

25F71264-6047-415F-851D-5D823C52A744.jpeg

54884753-ECCA-4655-A2E7-E0F150DC6FA4.jpeg

It depends on your needs. What will you be firing and to what cone. This kiln will not fire repeatedly to cone six before the elements require replacement. If you only intend to do lowfire clay, then it is worth looking further. It is minimally powered so can you tell us how you expect to use it?

A cone 8 kiln fired to bisque and cone 6 will get about 75-85 firings before the elements need replacing. That's not horrible, but not as good as a cone 10 kiln, but a lot of people work with cone 8 kilns. There are a lot more old cone 8 kilns out there than old cone 10 kilns, so you may have to wait a while before finding one. I would call Evenheat to double check, but usually that size Evenheat kiln is a cone 8 kiln.

Archived