Speedball Artista

Hi there,

I just bought the Speedball Artista from a store online. I'm having some issues with the bat pins that came with the wheel. The wheel itself has a plastic covering and when I turn the bat pins in the holes a few times, they fit very snuggly. I don't know if I should force them in or if they are the wrong size. It's my first wheel and the instructions don't really mention the bat pins.

Has anyone had any experience with the bat pins for this wheel? I've contacted the online store where I bought the wheel but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks.

Melanie

Are these the pins that came with the wheel? Typically bat pins are 1/4-20 size (1/4 inch wide, 20 threads per inch). Do they include wing nuts, or are they intended to thread directly into the wheel head?

Yes, they came with the wheel and they include wing nuts. Are they suppose to fit so tightly the first time?...I can only get them in about 1/4 of the way and then they are too difficult to twist (for me anyways)...I just don't know if I should try to force it. I don't want to damage the wheel itself.

Can you take a pic? Kind of confused at what you mean. For me, I put the bolts in, tight as can be on my wheel (bare metal), so the bolt heads stick above the wheel, nice and tight. So that way I can just slip the bat on and off, without ever taking the bolts off.

Can you take a pic? Kind of confused at what you mean. For me, I put the bolts in, tight as can be on my wheel (bare metal), so the bolt heads stick above the wheel, nice and tight. So that way I can just slip the bat on and off, without ever taking the bolts off.

Thanks for the reply. I think the bat pins they included with the wheel must be the wrong ones. I can't even put the shaft of the pins through the wheelhead holes. On wheels that I've used for my classes, the bolt would just slip through and then I would tighten the wing nuts.

Go to Ace and get a 1/4-20 stainless pin of the proper length and see if it fits. Or just try slipping a 1/4 inch drill bit into the hole. If it doesn't fit, the hole is too small.

Sure enough the holes on the wheel head are just a bit too small. Defect in the wheel or maybe Speedball makes theirs smaller? Anyone know if a hardware store would sell smaller type pins so that I could MacGyver something to work with the bats?

Go to Ace and get a 1/4-20 stainless pin of the proper length and see if it fits. Or just try slipping a 1/4 inch drill bit into the hole. If it doesn't fit, the hole is too small.

Sure enough the holes on the wheel head are just a bit too small. Defect in the wheel or maybe Speedball makes theirs smaller? Anyone know if a hardware store would sell smaller type pins so that I could MacGyver something to work with the bats?

I'd just drill out the holes with a 1/4 inch bit. Smaller pins will likely have a smaller head, which won't fit your bats.

I'd just drill out the holes with a 1/4 inch bit. Smaller pins will likely have a smaller head, which won't fit your bats.

Thanks for your help. I was thinking of that too. I'm just worried about damaging the wheel since I'm not sure what type of drill bit to use. The wheel has a plastic type finish but not sure what's underneath it. It must be steel right? Sorry...I'm not too handy!

Steel or aluminum underneath. Most wheel heads are aluminum, but they probably wouldn't have put the plastic on it if that was the case. Could be that the plastic is causing the bind. Any good drill bit intended for metal will work. Put a little oil on it to keep it cool while you drill.

Steel or aluminum underneath. Most wheel heads are aluminum, but they probably wouldn't have put the plastic on it if that was the case. Could be that the plastic is causing the bind. Any good drill bit intended for metal will work. Put a little oil on it to keep it cool while you drill.

Thanks very much for the tips.

Archived