How a speed lever/motor works

Hi there,

ive just bought a second hand wheel made by Webcot on EBay. I’m having problems getting the speed to change using the lever at the front. I’ve oiled it so it moves more freely, but still can’t change the speed.  Can someone explain to me how all the variable speed motor works so I can get to the root of the problem? It’s quite an old wheel.

Many thanks.

Hi Yds,

My guess is your wheel is a "cone drive" - not finding any good pictures of Webcot electric wheels on the internet; could you post pictures front, side, and close up of any detail plate.

Electric pottery wheels I've seen are either a) "cone drive," b) fixed speed (or selection of fixed speeds), c) variable speed using DC motor and a box with electronic stuff in it which is connected to the foot control pedal (or some type of hand operated lever) and the motor.

Cone drive - where wheel speed is varied via tilting the motor, where initial engagement is slow, near the tip of the cone, then increases as the contact moves out toward the edge.2095758535_conedrive.JPG.cc776ad9218c2041c7dee1d51deabf94.JPG

Fixed speed(s) - likely AC motor, any road, limited selection of fixed speeds...

Variable speed - almost certainly a DC motor; in the case of modern Skutt wheels, the drive (electronic box o' goodies) is made by Minarik.

Archived