Creating stamped small bowls and plates - glazing questions

hlipper

Hi all! I have a request for commissioned pieces with a stamped world on each piece (inside small bowls and on small plates), similar to this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/996145388/little-bowl-small-prep-bowl-stamped?ref=hp_rv-1&frs=1

I currently use a C6 stoneware and am wondering if I should go about making sure this world is legible in a couple ways:

• using a C6 celadon
  • using an underglaze like mishima on the word at leather hard, then glazing in clear after bisque

Any additional thoughts? Really appreciate any insight as I'm brand new to stamping. Thanks so much!

12 minutes ago, hlipper said:

Hi all! I have a request for commissioned pieces with a stamped world on each piece (inside small bowls and on small plates), similar to this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/996145388/little-bowl-small-prep-bowl-stamped?ref=hp_rv-1&frs=1

I currently use a C6 stoneware and am wondering if I should go about making sure this world is legible in a couple ways:

• using a C6 celadon
  • using an underglaze like mishima on the word at leather hard, then glazing in clear after bisque

Any additional thoughts? Really appreciate any insight as I'm brand new to stamping. Thanks so much!

If you are stamping a word in the bowl, I would use underglaze and wipe it off.  If you are stamping a complex design like a map or world, make certain your stamp is rigid enough to make a strong impression on the clay.  I like acrylic, metal or wood.  But I have used rubber stamps.  You just have to make certain you are stamping deep enough for the underglaze to go into.  Then carefully wipe away the underglaze. 

5 minutes ago, Roberta12 said:

If you are stamping a word in the bowl, I would use underglaze and wipe it off.  If you are stamping a complex design like a map or world, make certain your stamp is rigid enough to make a strong impression on the clay.  I like acrylic, metal or wood.  But I have used rubber stamps.  You just have to make certain you are stamping deep enough for the underglaze to go into.  Then carefully wipe away the underglaze. 

Thanks, Roberta! Do you apply underglaze at leather hard? And have you had any luck using color glazes over the underglaze or do you typically stick with clear? My current clay body is grey-speckled so I'm trying to decide if I should switch to an off-white body if I have to use a clear. Thanks in advance!

37 minutes ago, hlipper said:

Thanks, Roberta! Do you apply underglaze at leather hard? And have you had any luck using color glazes over the underglaze or do you typically stick with clear? My current clay body is grey-speckled so I'm trying to decide if I should switch to an off-white body if I have to use a clear. Thanks in advance!

I have done it both ways.  Greenware and bisque as far as the ug application.  With leatherhard greenware, you have a better chance of wiping away the excess. However, you have to be careful to not wipe away clay.   With bisque, sometimes the ug will stain the rest of the clay, depending on the underglaze but you don't have to worry about damaging or altering the clay.   I have used translucent glazes over stamped designs and words as well as clear glaze.  Both seem to work just fine, but as you probably know and will hear again and again from this group.....test test test.  I have put stamped designs on brown, speckled, stoneward, and porcelain.  They all work fine, you may need to adjust the color of underglaze, or with more groggy clay, adjust how you are wiping away the excess ug.  There are a number of ways to get words on pots.  But stamping works great.  

Roberta

Archived