OLYMPIC GAS 2831 TIP

MFP

I have been working my way towards finally firing my Olympic 2831 gas kiln (propane).  I had the pleasure today of meeting Jill Smith in Spokane, WA, who answered my nagging question of---how do you keep the gas from just whooshing up and out of the hole in the top?  In addition to being on her third kiln of this model, she had the original manual which clearly states that you must put a 12 inch round shelf exactly  1.5 inches under the vent hole....and also after the first ring, put the shelves against the wall.  I should note that both she and I have the original 6 burner configuration.  However, I see no reason this would not be as effective with the new 4 burner system,  Answered my questions!  Hope it answers some of yours! 

• 4 weeks later...

That's great advice ! Also stacking tall and loose down low and small and tighter up high is good for evenness in these like it is for single zone electric kilns. 

They are really cool and versatile kilns once you get to know them... would love to have one myself one day!

Olympic Gas Raku and TorchBearer Kilns (sheffield-pottery.com)

Archived