colouring with slips and oxides

Hi,

I want to experiment with colouring different clays before I start a new project but not sure what to use.

I would like to use a heavily grogged stoneware clay and also a smooth stoneware I might also try earthenware. Im looking

for quite natural blues/ greens and earthy colours. Any advice welcome, pics even better.

Thanks

I am not familiar with what is available in Ireland. When coloring clay bodies, it helps to begin with a white or light colored body.

Blues generally come from cobalt. Iron Oxide to color bodies earthy colors can be had by using red iron oxide, red earthenwares, Burnt Umber or Yellow Ochre. Green may be obtained using copper carbonate usually. Commercial colorants like stains may have reference codes which indicate whether they are good for coloring bodies or using in engobes and their temperature limits.

These are very general suggestions. You will have to do a lot of tests.

Marcia

I am not familiar with what is available in Ireland. When coloring clay bodies, it helps to begin with a white or light colored body.

Blues generally come from cobalt. Iron Oxide to color bodies earthy colors can be had by using red iron oxide, red earthenwares, Burnt Umber or Yellow Ochre. Green may be obtained using copper carbonate usually. Commercial colorants like stains may have reference codes which indicate whether they are good for coloring bodies or using in engobes and their temperature limits.

These are very general suggestions. You will have to do a lot of tests.

Marcia

Archived