L&L E23S-3 kiln ventilation options?

hlipper

Hi all! I recently came into possession of an L&L E23S-3 kiln and need to set it up in my basement which has a couple small windows. I am brand new to the kiln world and am looking for insight re: any creative ways to set up a ventilation system. I know L&L offers a vent system (https://www.sheffield-pottery.com/VENT-SURE-KILN-VENT-p/lmvvent00.htm) but there may be a cheaper way...Thanks in advance for any help!

In a basement you'll want to vent heat as well as fumes, so the Vent-Sure on its own won't do the job since it only vents heat. The Vent-Sure is good for the kiln, though, because it pulls the fumes out and pulls in fresh air, which will increase the life of your elements and improve the look of your glazes. Since you have a couple of windows, I would use one to pull heat out, and one to bring fresh air in. If it's not a giant room, you could try hanging an inexpensive 6" vent fan near the kiln, with a duct that runs out the window. I've used them in a couple of studios, large and small and they worked well. I can't guarantee it for your situation, but in my large studio it makes a noticeable difference in the amount of heat in the room.

Rig up a board that fits in the window or replace the glass with a board, and have the 4" Vent-Sure and the 6" fan ducts attach to the board with a flanged takeoff duct. You could do two separate holes, or do one 8" hole with an 8" takeoff duct, then add a wye fitting that the 4" line from the Vent-Sure and the 6" line from the fan can attach to. You can also do a system like the photo below that pushes up against the open window, with weatherstripping for a seal. It's pretty secure, but temporary. Then just crack the other window to bring in fresh air, assuming it's on a different wall. Otherwise crack a window in an adjoining room.

Your other option is to use a Vent-A-Kiln overhead hood. They work very well, but don't have the benefits of a downdraft for element life and glazes.

Window Kiln vent.jpg

Archived