Sieving Glazes - What Size Mesh

I just got one of those metal glaze sprayers that you blow in and it didn't come with any instructions. How do I use this?

What is the best way to prepare / sieve the glazes so they are thin enough?

What size mesh should I use to get the small pieces out of glaze?

Thanks so much!!!

I just got one of those metal glaze sprayers that you blow in and it didn't come with any instructions. How do I use this?

Thanks so much!!!

I haven't used one of those sprayers but I have always used a 80 mesh sieve without any problems

Thanks so much!!!

I haven't used one of those sprayers but I have always used a 80 mesh sieve without any problems

Thank you, I'll give that try ...my first attempt at using this was a mess, so I'll have to give it another go :)

Thanks so much!!!

Thank you, I'll give that try ...my first attempt at using this was a mess, so I'll have to give it another go :)

I bought a length of 1/2 inch vinyl tubing at Lowe's and slip that over the mouth end of the metal sprayer. It fits snugly enough that I can then put the other end of the tubing in my mouth and blow through that. That means that I don't have to lean down over the piece awkwardly in order to use the sprayer. I also have better control with the spraying when I don't have to try to aim it and blow into it with my mouth at the same time. It's a cheap solution.

Thanks so much!!!

Thank you, I'll give that try ...my first attempt at using this was a mess, so I'll have to give it another go smile.gif

I bought a length of 1/2 inch vinyl tubing at Lowe's and slip that over the mouth end of the metal sprayer. It fits snugly enough that I can then put the other end of the tubing in my mouth and blow through that. That means that I don't have to lean down over the piece awkwardly in order to use the sprayer. I also have better control with the spraying when I don't have to try to aim it and blow into it with my mouth at the same time. It's a cheap solution.

I bought one of thosem thinking it would be a good alternative for when I want a little glaze effect around a rim, but don;'t want to load up the sprayer. It was a disaster! I got spray all over everything withing 3 feet of the pot, no focused direction , even tho I was close to the pot and didn't blow very hard. Any suggestions?

I seived the glaze to 60, could that have beenn the trouble?

Thanks so much!!!

Thank you, I'll give that try ...my first attempt at using this was a mess, so I'll have to give it another go smile.gif

I bought one of thosem thinking it would be a good alternative for when I want a little glaze effect around a rim, but don;'t want to load up the sprayer. It was a disaster! I got spray all over everything withing 3 feet of the pot, no focused direction , even tho I was close to the pot and didn't blow very hard. Any suggestions?

I sieve glazes to be sprayed with a 100 mesh test sieve.

Thanks so much!!!

I sieve glazes to be sprayed with a 100 mesh test sieve.

Thank you all! I love the idea of the tubing...it makes sense since you really can't see and spray at the same time.

The big overspray you got was exactly what happened to mine..I felt like I got more spray on everything EXCEPT the piece I was trying to glaze. I'm going to get one of those 3 fold display boards to use as a barrier, make shift booth.

100 Mesh, I'll give that a try, maybe the mist will be finer :)

Great ideas!

Archived