KILN LEAD RETENTION?

Valarie

I was hoping that ,someone can clear up a recent issue ,I just read about .

Can an older kiln retain lead from lead based glazes in the firebrick  that were used  in it previously?

I have an older Duncan Teacher Plus ? I really never saw this mentioned  before, I am worried that my kiln could be contaminated.

Thanks

4 hours ago, glazed and confused said:

Can an older kiln retain lead from lead based glazes in the firebrick  that were used  in it previously?

Yes. I'ld get a swab test for lead like this and see if it comes up positive.  If it does then start thinking about what to do with the kiln or consider getting some lead testing done for fired pots.

Yes, I would use them to swab an area of the firebrick. I wouldn't have thought you need to scrape the brick. Lead volatilizes, stands to reason that if it's an issue then it will be on the surface of the bricks. Other option would be to send a sample pot to Brandywine Science Center, costs about 30- to get a sample tested for one oxide. I've used Brandywine, takes about a week for results which they email you. Basically you make and glaze a cylinder then send it off to them for testing. Let us know how this turns out, the subject doesn't come up often.

• 4 months later...

How did you test the kiln bricks?  I tested with the 3 M lead test and mine came back with no lead. When I sent it to a lab they tested the small pieces of kiln brick and came back with lead. Low levels. Very upset by this. It’s important to have a lab check. 

Archived