Glaze suggestions

Mudfish

I finally worked out my converted kiln problems, and now I can get to cone 10 easily. I've found that doing a reduction is necessary to even out top/bottom temps, however my usual matte white glaze that I have been using in electric now goes dark and shiny in this reduction atmosphere. So, does anyone have any glaze formulas that work at cone 6-8 reduction, and matte white, or any pale matte color?  Thanks,

5 hours ago, Mudfish said:

So, does anyone have any glaze formulas that work at cone 6-8 reduction, and matte white, or any pale matte color? 

Take you stiff clear glaze recipe and add Zircopax (~7-10%wt.) should give you a starting point.  Tweak to taste.

An alternate is to add alumina hydrate to the glaze --  this approach worked for me using shino as the base glaze. 

Both require a reasonable glaze thickness.  
Both approaches worked at cone 10R. 

I expect the concept to work at cone 6. 

LT

Thanks, M.M! I will try this as I have a 32 gallon bucket of this glaze that fired matte white in my electric, but now fires in my reduction kiln something like an oil spot celadon. I think the zinc fires out in reduction and there goes the white. So, I will try this simple fix.

Archived