Engobe Recipe Help

carolross

I had a problem with a ^04 bisque fire yesterday and need some help, please.  I used a "magic" recipe ( dry clay, vinegar & toilet paper) to build up a couple of greenware areas after sgraffito; I've done this before with good results.    The most recent bisque'd pieces have some darker areas now where I did repairs on bare clay and I'm guessing the slip got contaminated during the process.  I'd like to cover the dark areas with a slip or engobe of the same clay body for glazing, in hopes I can hide these areas.  I thought that if I used my clay body for this, it might not be a good fit on the bisque clay, so I calcined a bit of dry clay-body powder, planning on using this.  Does this make sense to anyone??  I thought I'd add water and a frit, as I would for a slip - should I use the calcined powder, or just some bit of dry clay body that hasn't been fired?  

Thanks for your help!

Blue sgrafitto.JPG

IMG_2819.JPG

3 minutes ago, carolross said:

I calcined a bit of dry clay-body powder, planning on using this.  Does this make sense to anyone??  I thought I'd add water and a frit, as I would for a slip - should I use the calcined powder, or just some bit of dry clay body that hasn't been fired?  

In effect what you are doing is trying to make an underglaze or bisque slip. Don't know if your method would work, I'm sceptical that it would. By adding frit you are going to be adding additional flux to the body, this will have an effect the clay. If you do get this to work please let us know, would be very interesting to see the results.

Can you tell if the stained paperclay just has surface discolouration or does it go deeper? If it's surface staining you could try sanding it down to clean clay. (wearing a P100 mask and working outdoors) 

Second option would be to use an underglaze and go over the discoloured areas with another colour, perhaps another shade of blue for the first pot and gray for the second?

Third option would be to put this up to a learning experience and start again.

1 minute ago, Min said:

Can you tell if the stained paperclay just has surface discolouration or does it go deeper? If it's surface staining you could try sanding it down to clean clay. (wearing a P100 mask and working outdoors) 

Thank you, Min.  I did sand it, but it's not just on the surface.  So, could I use my clay body mixed with frit, in a thick application to try to cover?  I've done hours of work on these and hate to start over if there might be a fix...

1 hour ago, carolross said:

...  So, could I use my clay body mixed with frit, in a thick application to try to cover?  I've done hours of work on these and hate to start over if there might be a fix...

I don't think this would work but try it and see, you have nothing to loose.  You could make up some test tiles with the same discoloured paperclay, bisque them the same as the mugs and try it on them.  I  think it would crack or eggshell off the bisque though. There are recipes for slips/engobes to go on bisque but its unlikely they will fire to the same colour as your claybody and since I'm assuming you will be using a transparent clear glaze on these the patched areas would show.

Archived