Glaze Firing Malfunction

Valarie

No damage from shutting down, start it up. I doubt it got to a very high temperature.  Tell us if you know but short of 1400 degrees for cone 05 I wouldn’t even be concerned. The majority of the work on a glaze fire is done in the last 200-250 degrees. Pretty much everything before it is “reversible” if you will.

What was the reason for the ventilation issue? If wax burn off then it should end 800-900 degrees. If paper, etc.... in sculpture work, it should ignite about 400 degrees and can be fairly Smokey. You will likely need ventilation after the restart.

Thanks, the temp was 726 ,I had lowered the temp ,becsuse I thought it was ramping up to quickly.I have a Duncan ES820-2  kiln.It is older but I have done 2 bisque firings and one 05 glaze firing with no issue.The only differences this time is I had a heavily packed kiln with 2 and half shelves .So there were 2 pots close to the lid top.It is also very windy outside and we have 500cfm vent system  blowing out from the basement and another smaller exhaust as well in an open window .We thought the wind was possibley pushing the fumes back into the basement. 

Archived