Where to put my kiln? (UK)

cellaryx

Hello, I am looking for some advice please! I'm living at home (an old Victorian terrace house) and am thinking about buying a kiln, is anyone in a similar situation and if so where have you put your kiln? We have a smallish garden and at the moment I work in the front room. Thank you :)

The kiln needs to be on a fireproof floor. Ideally concrete, but it can go on a wood floor if you put down two layers of cement board that extend beyond the kiln at least a foot in all directions. The kiln should be 18" from any combustible surface- walls, shelving, etc. You'll need to vent the kiln, so a hole through the wall for a downdraft vent or overhead hood, plus a way to bring in fresh air to cool the room. And you'll need to get the electrical service run to the kiln. Most people put their kiln in the basement or garage.

Hi @cellaryx

Welcome to the forum.  

My kiln is in my cedar greenhouse.  Paving slab floor, and kiln is rolled to the centre away from the staging when I fire it.

Most important thing is to get your wiring sorted properly.  If, like me, you end up with a kiln that plugs into a standard domestic (UK) socket, do NOT use an extension lead draped down the garden.  Get an electrician to look at wiring for you.  I have a caravan socket on the outside of the house, wired from the fuseboard.  The kiln has a long, arctic quality cable attached to it, and when I need to fire the kiln, I run the cable to the socket.  

There is loads of info on this forum about size of fuse and wire thickness.  It's been discussed many times.

Good Luck.  (Have you been watching throwdown?)

1 hour ago, cellaryx said:

thank you ! thinking about putting in in our shed as we don't have a garage or basement 

A shed will work, just make sure there is good air flow so you don't trap all that heat in there. If it gets too hot the digital controller can shut down. So lots of vents in the roof peak and along the lower wall, or even a fan in the end wall to pull hot air out.

Archived