Newbie questions about glazing

Okay...this may sound really dumb, but it's a timing question... when glazing bisque ware, is it possible to let the glazed work sit too long before firing it? Does the glaze slough off if allowed to dry too long? How long is too long? I've read several books but I don't think I've seen an answer to this question. This is important because as a hobbyist my time in the studio is frequently interrupted (I have a disabled daughter) and I need to know if I should wait to glaze my work until I have a long block of time and a ready kiln, or if I can do it in increments. Looking forward to some community wisdom!

@neilestrick is right but also check the pots for any glaze chips before firing if they've been sitting for a while. Pots inevitably tend to get bumped when on shelves being stored and fragile unfired glazes knock off easily. 

Avoid excess humidity, and if the glaze hasn't dried, watch storing in frozen areas. 

Otherwise, I've fired pots that sat for a couple of years...blow dust off like Neil said and fire. 

I once kept some pieces I’d intended to soda fire for 10 years before I was able to get to it again. I knew they’d be waiting a while (at the time I was thinking maybe 6 months), so I ran the pieces through the bisque after they’d been glazed. They sat in a box and survived a couple of moves. 

Archived