Blue Diamond Keystone Relay

wittarts

Yes better picture(s) and a clear picture of the relay rating. It should be etched or printed on the side of it or somewhere on it. This is sort of like looking through a keyhole so a picture from above, front, side framing the entire relay in the picture would be helpful. Maybe a model no of the kiln

Just find the model number on the relay and Google it. Those are general purpose relays, not made specifically for kilns, so you should be able to find one easily. If that particular model isn't made any more, most seller's web sites will recommend a replacement model. If you need help let us know the relay model number.

Sure,  240 v 2 pole contactor. Post some decent pictures , top, front, side.  A good clear view of the wire that leads to it if possible, (would like to confirm the gauge) meanwhile I will see if there is a blue diamond  wiring diagram somewhere.

Relay on top looks like a two pole, wire looks like #12, so my wild guess right now is a two pole single throw 30 amp relay.

So this relay is just for one section of the kiln? If so, you'll want a 30 amp relay. Can you give us a picture of the inside of the box so we can see how it's wired up? Is the switch a timer switch that's cycling the relay? I'm assuming it's got a 240 volt coil? You could use any 30 amp DPST-NO (dual pole, single throw, normally open) relay with a 240 volt coil. 

EDIT: Should have said DPST- dual pole single thrown. Brain isn't working well today.

@wittarts I deleted my previous comment as I was reading the wiring wrong. So if you saw that ignore it. Here's what's happening: The Kiln Sitter is only rated for 50 amps, so you can't run all 3 sections of the kiln through it. So the upper and lower sections are  going through the sitter, and the middle section is going through the relay. The input side of the relay takes the load from the power cord side of the sitter, and the output on the relay goes to the switch. The coil on the relay is powered up from the output side of the Sitter. So yes, you can use and DPST-NO 30 amp relay/contactor with a 240 volt coil. The open design you currently have would probably work best is it will run cooler than the sealed type. 

EDIT: Should have said DPST- dual pole single throw.

Here's an inexpensive 40 amp that would work. No harm being more than 30:

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/relays_-z-_timers/electro-mechanical_relays/power_relays,_open-style,_40a_(ad-pr40_series)/ad-pr40-2a-240a?gclid=CjwKCAiA8Jf-BRB-EiwAWDtEGqcENTXSU702TXJHqGaB1-Fgm8TkJjXrTM9S5zI_xzfcCTk4Gf82JBoCXt8QAvD_BwE

Take a look at the specs and make sure it'll fit in your box since the wires probably come off in different locations.

Archived