Kiln error FTH after 7.5 hours?

Mike B

Hi, yesterday I had my kiln on and it errored with the FTH (fail to heat) message after 7.5 hours, it reached 928c so my question is:

Will this have been long enough and hot enough for the glaze to have been finished? And if not should I try to refire it?

Thanks

Not sure what cone you are firing to but 928c is about cone 09 so no not likely even a cone 04 glaze is mature. ....... And generally refining the glaze to proper temp should be fine as most of the melting is done in the last 100c of the firing. My question is they likely are sintered (not melted) can’t imagine they look as intended. Don’t they look severely underfired? If so, seems like you have little choice in the matter at this point.

We had it set to cone 06, normally takes around 8.5 hours to finish and we’ve done two other runs a few weeks ago and they were fine but this time we had the error.

I think I may need to get somebody out to have a look at the kiln!

other than that I need to workout how to do a refire on the kiln?

On 10/15/2020 at 5:35 AM, Mike B said:

We had it set to cone 06, normally takes around 8.5 hours to finish and we’ve done two other runs a few weeks ago and they were fine but this time we had the error.

I think I may need to get somebody out to have a look at the kiln!

other than that I need to workout how to do a refire on the kiln?

Just about everything works before it doesn’t. Definitely time to troubleshoot. As we say in aviation don’t worry about the sky above you, runway behind you or fuel still in the depot ....... oh yeah ........... it flew fine yesterday is the most common comment before every incident that occurs the next day. Preflight you’re kiln, sounds like maintenance is due.

Archived